Several Popular Dragon Ball Concepts That Were Toei Animation’s Ideas, Not Akira Toriyama’s.
(AfroGamers.com) Akira Toriyama is a legend in the anime and manga community because mainly of his work and involvement in the Dragon Ball series even though he’s not among the greatest anime/manga writers of all time because he’s written plenty of retcons and asspulls that have pissed many fans like me off. He’s even created one-off shots as well as sending his character designs to be used for other popular JRPG games like Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest.
Here are top 5 popular Dragon Ball concepts that were Toei Animaton’s idea, not Akira Toriyama’s.
1. Super Saiyan Blue Evolution, Ultra Instinct Omen, & Super Saiyan Rage – All three of the forms have one thing in common: they weren’t Akira Toriyama’s ideas because those three transformations were created by Toei Animation specifically for The Dragon Ball Super Anime where Super Saiyan Blue Evolution and Ultra Instinct Omen we’re anime exclusive to “The Tournament Of Power Arc” and Super Saiyan Rage was anime exclusive to “The Future Trunks Arc”. These three exclusive forms will never be seen in The Dragon Ball Super manga written by Toyotaro.
2. The Main Pride Troopers Of Jiren, Toppo, and Dyspo – The concept to create the main Pride Troopers in Jiren, Toppo, and Dyspo didn’t come from Toriyama because those three characters were created by Toei Animation because they all wore red and black suits which were very similar to the costumes that are seen in the Super Sentai/Power Rangers series. The inspiration of the Pride Troopers came from the popular superhero live action series called “Super Sentai” in Japan while it’s known here in The States as “Power Rangers”.
3. Frieza Giving Goku Ki To Recover In The One Hour Anime Special Of The “Tournament Of Power” – According to Dragon Ball Super anime producer Satoru Takami, the concept of Frieza giving Goku ki to recover didn’t come from Toriyama because the concept wasn’t included in his original draft. But Toei Animation decided to add a layer to a side a Frieza that we’ve never seen before and that’s being generous by giving Goku ki to recover to continue to use him to achieve his own personal goals in the anime version of The “Tournament Of Power” despite his personal contempt for Goku.
4. Gogeta – Gogeta is another character that wasn’t created by Toriyama, but instead of Toei Animation which makes this popular character non-canon to The Dragon Ball continuity. The character first appeared in my favorite Dragon Ball film in “Fusion Reborn” after Goku and Vegeta were forced to fuse because they couldn’t beat the film’s main villian Super Janemba as singular beings, so they fused into Gogeta and immediately squashed Super Janemba in less than two minutes. The character appeared again in a less than popular non-canon series called “Dragon Ball GT” during the end of “The Shadow Dragon Arc” where as a non-canon Super Saiyan 4, Gogeta immediately squashed Omega Shenron until the fusion time was cut much shorter. Rumor now has it that Gogeta may finally be canonized for the upcoming “Dragon Ball Super: Broly” film and if this rumor turns out to be true and I personally see it myself, it will be a very special moment.
5. Bardock – Bardock also wasn’t created by Toriyama, but was also created by Toei Animation. He is a very popular character among the Dragon Ball fandom. He first appeared in a special called “Bardock: The Father Of Goku” where he was initially a bloodthirsty ruthless Saiyan, but it was later revealed that he was also a scientist who created the fake moon that allowed Saiyans with tails to grow into The Great Ape as Vegeta used to beat Goku in “The Saiyan Saga” during The DBZ Era. He was also the one to suspect that Frieza was gonna destroy Planet Vegeta, so he sent his son Goku to Earth as seen in great detail in the less popular “Dragon Ball Minus” one-off manga. It’s been conforming recently that Bardock will also be canonized as he makes a special appearance in the upcoming “Dragon Ball Super: Broly” film in a flashback scene.
The Conclusion – Even though Toriyama is by no means the greatest writer of all time doesn’t mean that he hasn’t written/created some of the best concepts in Dragon Ball history like The Super Saiyan transformation.
Staff Writer; Kwame Shakir (aka Joe D.)