Top 5 Things That I Disliked About The “Dragon Ball Super: Broly” Film.
(AfroGamers.com) Today, I finally got the opportunity to watch the highly anticipated 20th film of The Dragon Ball franchise called “Dragon Ball Super: Broly” and as much as I absolutely loved the film, but there were some things that I didn’t like about the film.
Here are top 5 things that I didn’t like about the “Dragon Ball Super: Broly” film.
1. The Inclusion Of Dragon Ball Minus – One of the things that a lot of people in The Dragon Ball fandom like myself didn’t like the inclusion of The Dragon Ball Minus stuff in the film because a lot of people in the Dragon Ball fandom hated Dragon Ball Minus.
The reason why a lot of people in the Dragon Ball fandom hated Dragon Ball Minus was because of the unnecessary changes and retcons to the original Bardock story such as Bardock being portrayed in a much more sympathetic light, Bardock having shoulder pads on his Saiyan armor, and Kakarot being 3 years old in Dragon Ball Minus when he was sent to Earth by his father Bardock.
2. Retcons – There were numerous retcons in the film that greatly pissed me off such as;
1) a scientist named Kikono invented the scouter as well as the armor, spaceship, and spacepods when in the original Dragon Ball Story, all those things came from The Tuffles.
2) Vegeta and Kakarot being the exact same age in the film when it was stated in the original Dragon Ball story that Vegeta was actually five years older than Kararot.
3) Frieza destroying Planet Vegeta without almost no opposition from Bardock in the film compared to when he rebelled against Frieza in the original Bardock film.
4) Goku being three years old having vague memories of his parents in the film compared to not having any memories of his parents at all in the original Dragon Ball story.
3. Frieza’s “Wish” – At the early parts of the film, Frieza sent two henchmen to steal the Dragon Balls from Bulma’s lab which actually made me thought that he will finally get his wish of immortality, but he admits that immortality is not all it’s cracked up to be. But instead he wants to grow 5 centimeters taller and I remember thinking “What kind of wish is that?” That’s one of the most stupidest wishes that I’ve ever seen anyone trying to ask for because during The Resurrection F Arc, the infamous trio of Pilaf, Mai, and Shu successfully used The Dragon Balls to go back to being younger because of the fact that they were getting old which to me was a much better wish than trying to grow 5 centimeters taller which is absolutely stupid. I didn’t like that scene at all.
4. The Continuous Burial Of Super Saiyan Red – One of the biggest things that I didn’t like about the film was the fact that it continued to bury the very popular Dragon Ball transformation of Super Saiyan Red because when Vegeta and Kakarot tapped into Super Saiyan Red, they did put up a bit of a fight, but it was quickly buried by not getting enough screen time in exchanged for the oversaturated Super Saiyan Blue transformation which greatly irritated me. As much as I love Super Saiyan Red, I just hated the continuous burial of the form in this film.
5. Paragus, The Horrible Father – Just like in the first Broly film, in this film, he was sympathetic at first, but I read an article recently about how he often had to amputate his own son Broly just to not only control his immense power, but to use him as a personal weapon to exact his revenge against Vegeta as was the case in the very first Broly film. Instead of treating his son Broly with love and admiration, he treated him instead as a weapon he could use to exact revenge on King Vegeta for exiling his son in this film compared to the first Broly film where King Vegeta stabbed baby Broly nearly killing him. Paragus is one of the absolute worst fathers in anime history.
The Conclusion – The reason why I wrote this article is to get people to understand just because a film is very good doesn’t mean that there won’t be things that you won’t like about that film.
Staff Writer; Kwame Shakir (aka Joe D.)